Preventive maintenance is important to keep your air conditioning system running correctly and efficiently.
During warm months, your air conditioner will be in heavy use, so it is important to keep it maintained.
In the Middle East, where an air conditioner is a necessary part of life, just a few preventive measures and servicing your AC at the right time will prevent your indoor room temperature from soaring.
So how do we approach this AC maintenance situation in our lives?
Well, firstly it is important to know what we are dealing with when it comes to air conditioning system. Basic information on such topics helps not only on saving big bucks on your maintenance but importantly helps contribute to a greener environment by using well maintained equipment.
Source: U.S. Department of Energy – Energy Saver 101 Infographic
In its most basic description, the air conditioning process involves two actions that occur simultaneously, one inside the property and one outside the property.
- Inside the property (sometimes referred to as the “cold side” of the system), warm indoor air is cooled as it blows across a cold cooling coil full of refrigerant. Heat from indoor air is absorbed into the refrigerant as the refrigerant turns from liquid to gas. The cooled air is distributed back to the property.
- Outside the property (sometimes referred to as the “hot side” of the system), the refrigerant gas is compressed before entering a large coil in the outdoor unit. Heat is released outside as the refrigerant turns back to a liquid and a large fan pulls outdoor air through the outdoor coil rejecting the heat absorbed from the property.
The result is a continuous cycle of heat and humidity being removed from indoor air, cool air returning to the property, and heat and humidity exiting the property.
So, when it comes to maintenance of your Air Conditioning systems, it is critical to ensure that all those parts mentioned above is regularly maintained so that the running parts can carry out their tasks seamlessly and safely. The following list of parts can be highlighted as critical parts which needs to be inspected and maintained regularly (maybe also in the form of a checklist provided by the contractor):
- Air Filter
- Evaporator and Condenser coils
- Blower and Condenser Fans
- Electric parts and relevant Controls
- Drain line and pan
- Chilled water piping
Air-conditioning has become a necessity in this part of the world, given the extreme heat, major construction projects coming up and population growth. And due to increase in demand for air-conditioning, pressure on power resources will continue to increase.
As a result, there is a growing need to be more energy efficient, especially when there are facts estimating that HVAC comprises approximately 40- 45 per cent of a typical facility’s energy use.
Add to this the responsibility put upon building owners and developers to embrace sustainability, the role of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems and service (HVAC) partners systems becomes pivotal.
To optimize benefits of the integrated approach towards energy efficient Air conditioning solutions, lifetime performance of any Air conditioning system relies heavily on a proper, scheduled, and comprehensive maintenance and service program.
So then answering our title question. Why is it important to have regular maintenance and service of our air conditioning system?
- To save costs! Equipment failure due to non-maintenance results in very high costs!
- To save time! Non maintenance and regular service can end up taking your time to run after repair works and replacements.
- To save you or your company from embarrassing situations with visitors at offices and homes with no air conditioning (breakdown) especially during summers!
- To save energy and contribute to a greener environment!
- To save people and property from damages resulting from leakages, fire, and hot temperatures.
So, what are the general challenges that we face with our Air conditioning systems? Maybe we can relate to a few of them almost every year either at our workplace or at home!
- AC not working
- AC not cooling admirably but rather runs
- Room temperature excessively hot or excessively cool
- Water spills from the ventilation system
- The air conditioner makes unusual clamors
- Air conditioner won’t switch off
Get your AC maintenance contract in place as soon as possible!
Recommended would be to have at least a minimum of 2 minor planned preventive maintenance services for all your AC units during summer and 1 major maintenance service planned in winter season when AC can be completely shut for thorough servicing, replacement of spares and general maintenance.
We are here to partner with you with these services.
You can ask for our yearly air conditioning maintenance contract packages, which can save you a huge maintenance cost and hassle-free solution for your aircon units. Additionally, you can always avail of emergency maintenance services on a call-out basis at affordable prices.